Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

Monday is 'Missing Paris Day'~Creperie in Chinon, France

A little creperie in the Medieval town of Chinon, once the favorite residence of King Henry Plantagenet (of England). I love how the river (Vienne) in this window painting flows into the street reflection of cobblestones (or vicy vercy).

The town, in the heart of the Loire Valley, was once a Roman camp and later, the birthplace of the famous French writer Rabelais, a Renaissance writer and satirist, doctor and humanist.

One of my favorites of his quotes: "Gestures, in love, are incomparably more attractive, effective and valuable than words."

Chinon was also visited by Joan of Arc in 1429 who announced herself to the King of France as "a messenger of God". A statue of the Angel of France graces the Place Jeanne d'Arc.

If I were here now, I would water my horse with the region's Cabernet Franc red and order une crepe avec beurre et sucre.

Do you have a favorite crepe?

(Photography copyright: Kirsten Steen)

7 comments:

  1. Sugar and lemon are my favourite crepes and...I think everyday should be missing Paris day, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki~ I don't think I've ever had a sugar and lemon crepe. I'll have to remedy that! Thanks for sharing and stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This photo transports me straight to France - love it! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Anne~ Hope you've enjoyed a good weekend too. Might have to frame this picture and hang it in my office!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have enough experience with crepes to have a favorite, but I do have a story.

    My sister-in-law is very shy and unassuming. When she was dating my brother-in-law, she could not cook a bit. (You wouldn't believe how amazing she is now.) We went back to Oregon to visit a few years ago and she said that she wanted to make breakfast for everyone. She got up very early, and she's not a morning person to cook it. She made crepes - little mouthfuls of heaven. They were stuffed with homemade cream, thinly sliced strawberries and a dark chocolate sauce. They were some of the best things I've ever eaten. She told me afterward that she had learned to make them because when she read the recipe in Martha Stewart Living, she knew I would love them.

    sigh. I can taste them now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Relyn! What a great story! And how wonderful to have a sister-in-law who would make a crepe in the morning just because she knows you would love them! A lucky woman you are! Thank you for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and Welcome!
Thanks for coming and for making your thoughts and feelings known. I appreciate all comments greatly.
Hope to see you again!
Kirsten