Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Zen Buddhist Thought for the Day~The Philosopher and the Dream


(photograph copyright: Octavia Hunter)

"The purpose of a fishtrap is to catch fish, and when the fish are caught, the trap is forgotten.
The purpose of a rabbit snare is to catch rabbits. When the rabbits are caught, the snare is forgotten.
The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to."
~Chuang Tsu
A Chinese philosopher of the 4th Century BC, Chuang Tsu is also well-known for The Butterfly Dream:
He dreamed he was a butterfly flitting about, but upon awakening, was not sure if he was a man dreaming he was a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming he was a man.
I've had a recurring nightmare for over 20 years and sometimes, for a brief moment, I truly cannot discern which is which, reality or dream. The other is so very real that it encroaches on my mind even as I feel I am awake and for a split second, I am sure the other was reality and what I thought was reality is the dream. Where can I find the man who knows? He is the one I would like to talk to. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness this was unbelievably beautiful, Kirsten! AND HOW DID I MISS YOUR PREVIOUS POST? You are on my blog list? What fabulous thinkers the Chinese were and are...like the Greeks, their thoughts mean business and never go out of style. Truth is like that, n'est-ce pas?

    How are ya? Hope you are having a super new year and that reality will have a distinct line to draw from that mist of dream state! I hate when for that split second or two, you wake up and you are not sure if you are in a dream still!

    Enjoy your week, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great quotes, Kirsten. Love love your music!
    Have a glorious day xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello and Welcome!
Thanks for coming and for making your thoughts and feelings known. I appreciate all comments greatly.
Hope to see you again!
Kirsten