Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Expected One- Teaser Tuesday


Hosted by MizB at shouldbereading.

Here's how to play:

*Grab your current read,
*Open to a random page,
*Share a few “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page,
*Please no spoilers!
*Share the title and author.

Today's selection is from The Expected One by Kathleen McGowan. (p.330-31)

 "Maureen looked intently at the skull while listening to Sinclair's explanation. A thought hit her, and she exclaimed, 'It's John! The skull--it's in all of Mary Magdalene's iconography, the paintings. She's always shown with a skull, and no one has ever been able to give me a good explanation for it. Always a vague reference to penance. The skull represents repentance. But why? Now I see why. Mary was painted with the skull because she was doing penance for John--literally with John's skull.' 
Sinclair nodded. 'Yes. And the book, she's always shown with a book.'
'But that could just be scripture,' Maureen observed.
'It could be, but it's not. Mary is shown with a book because it is her own book, her message that she has left these for us to find. And I hope it will give us insight in to the mystery of her oldest son and his fate, because we just don't know. I'm hoping that the Magdalene will put that mystery to rest for us herself.'" 


Have just started this book and it looks to be quite interesting. So very much we don't know and I love getting other people's take on the subject. As the author states on her website, the beauty of art is "the perpetual mystery of interpretation".  Isn't that the beauty of life?!


2 comments:

  1. Mystery of any kind is fine with me. You're a dear to leave me so many sweet comments. Why do I think you're in Paris? Hmmmm....it's a mystery.
    Catherine xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH GOOD MORNING DEAREST ONE!

    Kirten, do you know that we have been following each other for three years??? YES!!!!!!

    Oh dearest, I am running around so busy, but blogland for both me and my husband is a getaway from all the stress of work...thank you for coming to visit and listen to Jeff Buckley...I have to remember to sing HALLELUJAH more often, especially these days, for stress can make you loose your perspective.

    ENJOY A WONDERFUL DAY! Anita

    ReplyDelete

Hello and Welcome!
Thanks for coming and for making your thoughts and feelings known. I appreciate all comments greatly.
Hope to see you again!
Kirsten