Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

Lunch overlooking the David in Firenze


I'm coming to the end of my writing retreat 
and I've decided we need a little more of Florence this week
since that's where I've been in my head. 

This little place is preparing for lunch on the famous square,
the Piazza della Signoria,
the entryway to the Uffizi Gallery and
home of the famous statues you see in the background. 
That is a reproduction of Michelangelo's David on the left of course,
and on the right is Bandinelli's Hercules and Cacus.
And between them is the entrance to the Palazzo Vecchio (or Old Palace). 
Now the Town Hall for Florence
and the home of the Mayor's office and City Council,
it was once the home of Cosimo I before he moved across the Arno River
to the Palazzo Pitti.
That's when Cosimo began calling it the Old Palace. 

And speaking of old,
there's one other photo I just have to share:


In case you are wondering what I will look like when I'm aged,
this is it. 
Permanently bent over my writing
and possibly sound asleep, 
though I cannot guaranty my socks will match anything. 
Can you tell I'm getting punchy?! 
Until we meet again...
ciao.




(Photos copyright: Kirsten Steen)

2 comments:

  1. KIRSTEN! HELLO! Oh what another fabulous place to spend a day, people watching and gathering ideas for writing!

    My dear, enjoy your trip down the coast. I hope you gained more inspiration for your writing! And yes, we have to just accept those crappy first drafts and trudge through the sludge to get to the good stuff, don't we? THANK YOU FOR COMING BY, and for always having a page of inspiration here! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no words to tell you how much I love that last image. I have the same affinity for him that you do, I think. We see ourselves and our own mad scribblings in the hunch of his shoulders. I LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and Welcome!
Thanks for coming and for making your thoughts and feelings known. I appreciate all comments greatly.
Hope to see you again!
Kirsten