Just a couple of photos today
of the Pont Alexandre III
which spans the Seine.
Built in 1900 for the Universal Exhibition
along with the Grand Palais and Petit Palais.
Adorned with art nouveau lamps,
gilt bronze statues, nymphs, horses and cherubs,
it is named after Tsar Alexander III of the Franco-Russian Alliance.
Interestingly, the first stone of the foundation was laid by
Alexander III's son,
Nicholas II in 1896
and the Trinity Bridge in St. Petersburg
was created as a memorial to the Franco Russian-Alliance,
designed by Gustave Eiffel
and the first stone laid by French President Felix Faure in 1897.
Wish we made more bridges like this one!
(Photos copyright: Kirsten Steen
Info by Wikipedia)