Pages

Friday, January 16, 2015

Vivaldi Concert at La Sainte Chapelle Church in Paris



Enfin!! Finally! 
I'm here...I'm back...
from Paris
and the holidays! 




I do hope you had a joyous holiday season. 



Our first set of photos from this most recent visit to Paris
is to the royal medieval Gothic chapel of
La Sainte Chapelle.

For the 23rd anniversary of our first date
on the 23rd of December,
I decided rather than spending a huge amount on a fancy restaurant,
the Chef and I should see a concert in a cathedral
and then have a nice dinner nearby. 



I've always wanted to see one of these cathedral concerts
so this was the perfect day...and excuse. 


But it was COLD! 
A friend had warned me:
Bundle up! 
It will be cold. 


But a magnificent backdrop
for such exquisite music. 
Vivaldi's Four Seasons.  






These beautiful angels hovered just next to me as I listened.




And religious figures stood nearby. 



Even the floors are colorful and exquisite.





Adam and Eve grace the exterior doors on the way out. 



And the ancient church spire
hovers under a darkened sky. 


The church, located on the Ile de la Cite,
was commissioned by Louis IXth 
to hold his Passion Relics
one of which was to be the Crown of Thorns. 
The church itself was opened in 1248. 
Sainte Chapelle is most known, among other things,
for being the largest collection of 13th century stained glass windows anywhere.
(See first photos above for a small sampling.)

It was my 3rd visit to this special church
and I never tire of it. 
Next time, I hope to see a concert there in the summer! 
***********

From the church, we made our way to the restaurant L'Absinthe,
quoted as a 'neo-retro bistro'.
A little Paris, a little New York,
the restaurant is run by Caroline Rostang,
daughter of the famous Michel Rostang.
I wish I'd gotten some shots of the interior
but you can see photos by clicking the link below. 

We sipped bubbly 
(in memory of our very first bubbly together on that first date)
and had a fabulous meal just near the clock. 
I highly recommend it. 



Thanks for coming along 
for the first of many photos of our recent time in Paris!


(All photos copyright: Kirsten Steen)

**********************

8, rue Blvd. du Palais,
75001, Paris, France
33.1.53.40.60.80


L'Absinthe (Paris)
24, Place du Marche Saint Honore
75001 Paris France
01.49.26.90.04

4 comments:

  1. Your post brings back lovely memories of the two concerts (Vivaldi in both -- more or less variations on the same concert!) in La Ste. Chapelle. It's an incredible experience, isn't it? That gorgeous music in the perfect setting -- I was entranced. You're right about the cold -- even on a rainy April I was wishing I had a warmer coat but the June concert was very temperate and all the lovelier because with it being light later, the glass windows were "alive" longer. Yes, do return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary and welcome home! I also went to a Vivaldi concert at Ste. Chapelle, it was exquisite...never to be forgotten. We went in the summer though....
    Xox
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never went to that church, but what a beauty it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited to see you've made it back to your heart's home, to Paris! I have missed you. Happy 2015, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and Welcome!
Thanks for coming and for making your thoughts and feelings known. I appreciate all comments greatly.
Hope to see you again!
Kirsten