Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Baptistry Mosaics


As promised,
here are photos of the interior of 
the octagonal Baptistry in Florence from last week.

Oh to be in Florence again! 
I know of an author who rents herself an apartment 
in whichever country she happens to be setting her next novel
and then spends that month writing there. 
One of my future goals! 

And actually, that's why I'm posting photos of Florence,
because part of my novel is set there
and this way we can feel like we're there. 


I love that most of these photos and mosaics
depict angels in them. 



The scene below, of course, needs no explanation.




Can you imagine being responsible for putting all of these tiny mosaics in place?! 




I'm setting up a schedule 
to try to get my novel ready for Beta Readers this summer.
I'm NOT a puzzle person
but writing a novel feels a little like trying to place all the mosaics
in all the right places,
fitting all the correct colors with the right scenes
but without too much rigidity
and more than a splash of imagination.
There's a structured whole yet with individual chapters and scenes
which must have their own flavor and color,
textures and tapestries.





And I'm teaching myself novel writing as I go
so I especially appreciate this last mosaic
of an angel bringing information
during sleep. 

I'm working on the last little bits
of trying to make this book puzzle work
and will take all the help I can get. 



(All Photos copyright: Kirsten Steen)

3 comments:

  1. It is a journey and a marathon. Walking around, things would come to me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DEAREST KIRSTEN! GOod morning and happy day!!!! I love your new header, I love these photos that compliment your beautiful purple page! I am glad to see you are still on the move, visiting the wonderful places of Europe! I think traveling and settling into a fabulous place such as a villa, a cottage, a lakeside or ocean side cabin is a great place to begin to write. When we were in Carmel last summer, it only inspired more and more writing and photography.

    I wish you much happiness and success on your writing; school is almost out for me and I plan to read and write to my heart's content. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. We have had an outstanding spring! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to be here again and visiting you again. Florence - sigh. Your novel - yay! Catching up - delighted. Hello, friend.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and Welcome!
Thanks for coming and for making your thoughts and feelings known. I appreciate all comments greatly.
Hope to see you again!
Kirsten