Pages

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

'Paris: The Luminous Years'' on PBS tonight



As if to answer the question in my last post, a documentary on Paris and its artists (between the years 1905 and 1930) makes its nationwide premiere tonight at 9pm on PBS. The 2-hour documentary, 'Paris: The Luminous Years- Toward the Making of the Modern' by Perry Miller Adato (who has won awards for her documentaries and includes the likes of  Dyland Thomas, Mary Cassatt and Georgia O'Keeffe to mention a few) includes archival footage as well as interviews and never-before-seen photos of the artists and writers of the time. It explores the artists and their relationships as well as how these relationships affected their lives and work.

The film includes words from a stellar line-up of modern art celebrities such as Jean Cocteau, Aaron Copland, Marcel Duchamp, Sylvia Beach, Marc Chagall, Stravinsky and others.

"It's the period from 1905 to 1930 when everybody, almost nearly everyone -- it's just amazing -- who did anything that was important in the arts, in nearly all the arts, was in Paris," explains filmmaker Perry Miller Adato. "Sometimes only for a couple of weeks, sometimes for a couple of months, others for their whole lifetime, but it didn't matter because no matter how short or long it was, it changed their work, and it changed their life."

Tune in tonight for a look at how our favorite city became the inspirational meeting point for the creative minds and souls who inspired each other and then nearly a century of future artists.




(Quote from Monique Marcil's article more of which you can read here.)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kirsten,
    I'm so glad you posted this! I'll be sure to watch. Hope you're enjoying the season.
    All the best,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is incredible the way that one city has universally captured the imagination of the world and ignited the passions of so many artists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BONJOUR KIRSTEN!!! I do not have access to PBS!!! AHHHHHH! But this certainly looks like something up my ALLÉ!!!

    WISHING YOU PEACE AND A FRENCH STYLE CHRISTMAS!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kirsten,
    Hello! I have been missing my blogging so much, but finally have some respite from my orders,and school duties. CANNOT believe that I missed this...I am off to PBS right now to see when/if it will air again....this is one of my favourite eras!

    Have a great weekend,
    Nathalie
    did you ask about my sculpting? I have 3 very sad and neglected stones in my little sculpting area of my yard, I am dying to get to. a resolution to make time in 2011....

    ReplyDelete

Hello and Welcome!
Thanks for coming and for making your thoughts and feelings known. I appreciate all comments greatly.
Hope to see you again!
Kirsten