Pages

Monday, May 21, 2018

Poilane's Long Lost Bread Artiste


Not only am I missing Paris today
but I'm also missing these magnificent bread sculptures...







... made by a long gone artiste.



Just down the street from us
in their corner window, 
Blvd de Grenelle's Poilane bakery in Paris
frequently used to display an exquisite scene 
 made out of BREAD.




Every time I walked by and there was a new one,
I had to get out my camera.
And now I'm so thankful I did!




Because one year when we returned, 
they were gone. 
They simply covered the window with a curtain. 
And each time I went by, I checked. 
But always the curtain. 
I finally went in to ask
after years of watching for them 
and wondering about them. 
The young clerk had no idea what I was talking about. 

Missing whoever it was 
that created such artistry. 



For some info on Poilane's famous dark bread,
Click HERE



(Photos Copyright: Kirsten Steen)

8 comments:

  1. I know that the man that ran the patisserie died, but his daughter quit college in America, and went back to take over the business. That was a few years ago. I have had some of that bread and they used to ship it to the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I didn't know they shipped it to the US! It's so different from the usual French baguette. Rich and dark. I read that the father died in I think a helicopter or plane crash. They still bake in old fashioned ovens.

      Delete
  2. Oh sigh -- how very sad they no longer do the sculptures. I hope someone one day revives them. They are beautiful and I'm so grateful you have these beautiful photos as reminders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Jeanie! So glad I got photos of these. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  3. Simply magnificent !
    My grandma owned a bakery for over thirty five years, bread was her specialty, this brings back so many memories.
    Thank you for sharing today :)
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! My grandma baked lots of pies and cakes and cookies when I was a kid but never bread that I can remember. Wish I had a knack for bread making. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  4. I am so glad that you took those photos too! Wow! They were truly bread artists.
    I so hope to see France one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I hope you do too! I can honestly say that my first time there, it far surpassed my hopes and dreams! And every time since then too.

      Delete

Hello and Welcome!
Thanks for coming and for making your thoughts and feelings known. I appreciate all comments greatly.
Hope to see you again!
Kirsten