Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2018

French Mother's Day Chateau Bouquets



(Five Queens Room/Chenonceau)


Today is Mother's Day in France 
and these photos are from some of the chateaux
on a Mother's Day weekend some years ago.





They filled their ancient rooms with these exquisite flowers. 
My last Mother's Day post showed the exterior of one of the chateaux
so I thought I'd show a few of the actual lovely arrangements. 










While the French Fete des Meres is always the last Sunday in May
(unless it coincides with Pentecost and then it's moved to the 1st Sunday in June),
I just learned that the Italian Mother's Day is the same as in the US,
2nd Sunday in May and is known as La Festa della Mamma.




In the UK, it was known as Mothering Sunday
and was originally tied to the Christian calendar
falling on the fourth Sunday of Lent,
usually late March or early April
when followers were given time off to return to their 'mother' church.
 Always something to learn while blogging!




I think this last basket of creamy white roses and Cala lilies is my favorite
with its view out the window to the water. 




Bonne Fete des Meres to les Mamans in France! 



(Photos copyright: Kirsten Steen)



6 comments:

  1. Amen. Those were gorgeous bouquets. Sweet that they take time to do that for the visitors. I thought the first one was at Chambord. Roses, tulips, delphiniums and hydrangea. Don't know which is prettier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, I believe that first photo is the 5 Queens Bedroom at Chenonceau, dedicated to the daughters and daughter-in-laws of Catherine de Medici. What a room!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post to observe Mother's Day in France. Those blue hydrangeas in the pot are so charming. And the white roses, oh my! Your posts are always interesting and delightful, Kirsten.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheri! I know I said the last flower arrangement was my favorite but I still can hardly get over the gray-blue calla lilies!

      Delete
  3. Lovely, lovely flowers! I have seen calla lilies in the gardens in England for years but just this year I have noticed people growing them here in Georgia. I also think they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay, I've actually tried to grow them here in the Pacific NW but haven't had much luck so far. My property doesn't have quite enough sun. Thanks for being here!

      Delete

Hello and Welcome!
Thanks for coming and for making your thoughts and feelings known. I appreciate all comments greatly.
Hope to see you again!
Kirsten