Pages

Friday, November 16, 2018

Florida's The Breakers



I was lucky enough to do a little traveling this past month
thanks to my father and his wife 
whom I call
My Fairy Stepmother. 
Unlike some step-relationships,
this wonderful woman does everything in her power
to bring family together,
including hauling me clear across the US, 
from one coast to the other,
for a visit 
generously using her miles. 

They rented a little place on Pompano Beach 
for the month of October and invited me for a week.
And since we were having hardwood floors put in at my house,
and the place was filled with a thick layer of dust, fumes and noise, 
my sweetie thought it might be perfect timing. 

While they took me many places, 
one of those places I ogled and snapped photos of for an hour
was The Breakers in Palm Beach. 




Since I still have many family members and friends
not on Facebook or Instagram (where I upload most of my photos),
I thought I'd share. 





While I didn't see any of the actual guest rooms,
each room on the main level was an exquisite treat...




with exquisite views. 


This was only part of the wine offerings in one of the restaurants. 
There was another small locked room with most likely more of the higher end choices. 




According to someone who had been there recently,
this flower arrangement was a small one compared to the last. 




While the property was founded by an industry tycoon in the 1890's,
this hallway feels almost like Versaille. 





Each time a fire leveled the hotel in the early 1900's,
it was rebuilt more luxurious than before. 





After the 1925 fire,
it was redesigned by the very same designers of 
New York's Waldorf Astoria... 




And given a more European flavor
using the Villa Medici of Rome as a model. 
Similar to the Medici Gardens,
this courtyard is stunning. 












And this magnificent ballroom 
looks out on the gardens. 






This is the view just outside the famous bar. 




It's proximity being so close to the water,
this luxury hotel was named after the waves just outside its doors. 





Of course, a seat in the bar
calls for a little bubbly. 






While you can't see any of the fish,
you can see here by the coral 
that the counter is an aquarium. 





Hope you've enjoyed this little tour of The Breakers. 
Come back next time for more Florida fun photos! 

For more info and pics of The Breakers,
Click Here.



(All photos copyright: Kirsten Steen)






6 comments:

  1. Oh Kirsten, I have never been south of Orlando, so this was a treat. What a place! I don't think I've been in a hotel as exclusive. Must of been hard to leave. Donna@gather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Donna, It was absolutely lovely! Though now I'm curious what the actual rooms look like. Not sure if I'll ever see one of those.

      Delete
  2. Wow -- this place is a stunner. And even better, a stunner in a warm climate (because believe me, Michigan isn't warm right now!)

    I've thought of you as I've been posting my trip to Paris the past few weeks. And all my fans-of-France bloggers. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie, I've been off the blogosphere for too long and it's time to get over to see your Paris photos! Can't even tell you how much I LOVED the warm weather (though the humidity is a bit to deal with) but I'd go back in a heartbeat!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the getaway! I've never been more north than Sarasota and Miami. Your photos actually made me enjoy Florida, something I rarely do. Thank You! The Breakers seems very European, therefore right up my alley. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, I wasn't sure I would like Florida but I ended up loving it. Can't wait for my next stay. (The folks are looking at buying or renting a condo on the beach. Looking forward!)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and Welcome!
Thanks for coming and for making your thoughts and feelings known. I appreciate all comments greatly.
Hope to see you again!
Kirsten